There is incredible flavor as well as nutritional value in Simply Steamed Broccoli, served with lemon. Refreshing and rewarding! Fortunately, both broccoli and lemon, the principle ingredients in this dish, are available all year long.
The broccoli should come out a bright, emerald green, not grey or purple.
- 1 head of broccoli, trimmed of outer leaves, to 2, about 1 pound
- 1 lemon
- Trim the bottom half-inch from the broccoli stem. You can either break up the head into 4 pieces or into florets, as desired.
- Pour cold water in the bottom of a non-reactive pot to 1/2-inch. Squeeze a few drops of lemon juice (not very much at all) into the water. Put it on the heat to bring to a boil.
- Add the broccoli to the pot, cover, reduce the heat to low and allow to steam about 5 to 8 minutes, depending on whether you're cooking 2 heads or 1). If you have a steel vegetable steamer, use it in your pot.
- When cooked, remove to a serving dish, draining water completely.
- Cut the remaining lemon into slices or wedges and serve immediately.
The broccoli will be crisp and fresh, yet soft enough to eat comfortably. If the broccoli is too hard, it's not cooked enough, and if too soft, it's overcooked. The color will tell you everything you need to know.
If you're not serving the broccoli right away, rinse it after cooking in ice cold water to set the color, drain and reserve. If you want it warmed up again, just microwave for 30 seconds on high.
Roast turkey has been a favorite of the Thanksgiving table in America since the 17th century. But th...
Ham and potatoes with a cheese sauce? What could be nicer as a side dish with your roast? Au Gratin ...
If you love Creme Brulee, you're going to simply adore Creme Brulee French Toast, a rich breakfast t...
The plantain is a staple of Latin American cuisine. Cuban Fried Sweet Plantains (Plátanos Maduros) m...