Simple Polenta is the perfect accompaniment for braised meats, grilled seafood, or a variety of other relatively soft proteins or vegetables. If you have any left0ver, spread it out to about 1/4-inch thick and let it set. It will harden. The polenta may then be cut and used as appetizers or for other things.
- 1 Quart chicken, fish or vegetable stock, clam juice or water (add 1 Cup more for soft polenta)
- 1 Cup coarse polenta corn meal
- 1/4 Cup freshly-grated Parmesan cheese
- salt, to taste (omit for fish stock or clam juice)
- freshly-ground black pepper, to taste
- In a heavy saucepan bring stock to a boil.
- Stir in polenta slowly - adding just a little at a time- to prevent lumps.
- Reduce heat to low and with a wooden spoon stir regularly to prevent polenta from burning. Don't use a whisk!
- Continue stirring and cooking for 45 to 50 minutes or until polenta is tender.
- Stir in cheese and season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Serve immediately.
- If too thick, stir in a little more stock before serving.
If using clam juice, don't use a full quart. Add clam juice to water or fish stock - about half each.
Huevos Rancheros are a delicious dish, easy to make, and perfect for any meal of the day. A traditi...
Incredible! Chilled Cream of Stone Fruit Soup was inspired by a dessert soup recently created by Jul...
Asparagus with Toasted Pine Nuts and Lemon Vinaigrette is an extraordinary Northern Italian side dis...
This extraordinarily delicious appetizer may also be served for lunch or a light dinner main course....