Sicilian Cannoli Dip
A fun, tasty, and classy dessert, great for parties, brunch or family gatherings. If you don't like deep frying, you can substitute miniature ice cream cones, madeleines, shortbreads, waffle cookies or other tasty, crispy cookies.
Author: Epicurus.com Kitchens
Recipe type: Dessert, Snack
Serves: 8 to 10
- 2 Cups flour
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 Tablespoons shortening
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 Cup Marsala
- 1 egg white
- vegetable oil, for deep frying
- paper towels, for draining
- 1/2 Cup confectioners' sugar, for dusting
- 1 1/2 pounds ricotta cheese
- 1/2 Cup confectioners' sugar
- 1/2 Cup chocolate chips
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla
- 3 Tablespoons citron peel, chopped
- 3 Tablespoons candied orange peel, chopped
- 1 Cup finely chopped pistachio, optional
- 1 Cup small chocolate chips, optional
- Combine the flour, cinnamon, shortening, sugar and salt, and wetting gradually with the wine, knead together with fingers until rather hard dough or paste is formed. Form into a ball, cover with a cloth and let stand for about 1 hour. Cut dough in half and roll half of the dough into a thin sheet about 1/4-inch thick or less and cut into triangles with a crinkled pastry cutter. Each triangle should be about 2-inches wide on at least one side.
- Meanwhile heat vegetable oil in a large deep pan for deep frying, to 350 degrees F.
- Place a few of the triangles on a spider or spoon and gently float into the oil. They'll cook quickly. Turn once. When a dark golden brown, remove and place on paper towels to train. Repeat until all the triangles are cooked.
- Allow to cool.
- Mix the ricotta thoroughly with sifted dry ingredients. Add two drops of vanilla and chopped fruit peel. Mix and blend well. Chill mixture before adding to a serving bowl. Smooth the surface evenly and garnish with a few chocolate chips.
- Refrigerate until ready to serve.
- Before using the dippers, sprinkle them with confectioners' or powdered sugar.
- Portion out the pistachios and extra chocolate chips into two wide bowls.
- Guests will take a dipper, scoop up some dip, and if desired, dip into the extra chocolate chips or pistachios.