Author: Epicurus.com Kitchens
Recipe type: Stocks and Foundation Sauces
- 4 Quarts of shrimp shells (about the remains of 2 pounds of shrimp)
- 8 Quarts cold water
- 2 Tablespoons oil
- 4 ounces onions, diced
- 4 ounces leeks, white portion only, washed well, trimmed and chopped
- 4 ounces celery, diced
- 4 ounces parsnips, chopped
- 2 lemons, halved
- 1 Cup parsley, coarsely chopped, stems and all
- 8 bay leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon dried tarragon leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon cracked black peppercorns
- Rinse the shells briefly under cold water and drain well.
- Sweat the shells briefly in the oil, then add the mirepoix (onions, leeks celery, parsnips) and sweat for 2-3 minutes. Add to cold water, add the parsley and sachet (all the herbs placed into a 4" square of cheesecloth and tied into a sack) and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 40 minutes.
- Strain the stock thoroughly in a china cap or strainer layered with cheesecloth. Cool the stock completely in an ice-water bath and use, refrigerate or freeze immediately.