Shish Kebabs have been a wonderful, easy method of cooking for centuries, yet they are as fresh a recipe today as when first created. Simple, and delicious and wonderful served en flambee.
- 1/4 Cup olive oil
- 1/2 onion; minced
- 8 cloves garlic; finely minced
- 1/4 Cup fresh lemon juice
- 3 teaspoons minced fresh dill weed, or
- 1 teaspoon dried dill weed
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh cilantro
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed dried hot chilies
- 1/2 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 2 pounds lean boneless lamb; cut into 1" chunks
- 1 large onion; cut into wedges
- 1 small eggplant; cut into 1" chunks
- 12 small fresh mild to hot chilies
- 2 ripe but firm tomatoes; cut into wedges
- Mix all of the marinade ingredients together. Add all of the remaining ingredients and toss lightly with the marinade; refrigerate for at least 2 hours.
- When ready to cook, thread the meat and vegetables alternately onto skewers and grill about 4 inches from the coals.
- Turn frequently and paint with extra marinade during cooking. Cook to desired doneness.
Yield: 16 to 24 skewers.