She-Devil Barbecue Sauce is a spicy, rich and flavorful accompaniment for ribs and other delicious Texas-style barbecue.
She-Devil Barbecue Sauce
Author: Epicurus.com Kitchens
Recipe type: Sauces
Serves: 1 batch
- 1 onion - coarsely grated
- 3 garlic cloves - finely chopped, up to 4
- 1/4 Cup Worcestershire sauce
- 1 Cup ketchup
- 1/4 Cup dark brown sugar
- 2 dried chipotle chilies - up to 3
- 1 Cup beer - plus extra if needed
- 1 Cup water - plus extra if needed
- 1 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1 teaspoon mild red chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- salt, to taste
- freshly-ground black pepper, to taste
- 1/4 Cup cider vinegar
- Mix together the onion, garlic, Worcestershire sauce, ketchup, dark brown sugar, chipotle chilies, beer, water, mustard, chili powder, cumin, salt and pepper, and half the vinegar.
- Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat and simmer for 30 to 45 minutes, or until the sauce thickens. If the mixture sticks to the bottom or threatens to burn, add more water or beer.
- When the sauce is thick and flavorful, add the remaining vinegar, stir and let cool. Remove from the heat. Pour the sauce into a container.
- Slather this spicy, smoky sauce on ribs or steaks when they have almost finished cooking. Serve the remainder in a bowl for guests to help themselves.