These soft, seeded, salted breadsticks make a perfect accompaniment to pasta and other Italian dishes, or a great appetizer with a bowl of tomato sauce or flavored olive oil. They’re wonderful for sopping up a tasty sauce or served simply with butter. No matter how you serve them, your family or guests will ask for more.
- 1 Tablespoon active dry yeast
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 1 1/2 Cups warm water
- extra-virgin olive oil, as needed
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 teaspoon Kosher salt
- 3 Cups flour, divided use
- egg wash, as needed
- 1 Tablespoon poppy seeds
- 1 Tablespoon toasted sesame seeds
- 1 Tablespoon fennel seeds
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- flour for dusting, as needed
- Combine yeast, sugar and warm water in mixing bowl and let stand 5 minutes. Add 2 Tablespoons oil, garlic, Kosher salt and 2 cups flour; mix to form a loose dough, adding more flour as needed.
- Place remaining flour on work surface and knead flour into dough until smooth and elastic. Place dough in large bowl coated with olive oil. Rub dough with olive oil, cover with cloth and let rise in warm place 1 hour, or until doubled in volume.
- Punch down dough and turn onto well-floured surface. Divide into 12 pieces. Roll each piece into breadsticks 6- to 8-inches long, and place on well-greased sheet pan. Brush with egg wash.
- Combine poppy, sesame, fennel seeds and sea salt; sprinkle over breadsticks. Bake at 425 degrees F until golden brown, about 15 minutes.
Smooth, crunch, sweet and delicious Dutch Apple Pie is best served warm with a scoop of vanilla ice ...
Simple, refined and just plain wonderful, Arcadian Shepherd's Pie is an economical recipe that produ...
Oyster and Artichoke Soup is a rich, creamy soup with luscious flavor. The pairing of its key ingre...
Easy, simple and seriously delicious, the sauce in Easy Barbecue Chicken imparts a wonderful flavor ...