Seared Dayboat Scallops with Napa Cabbage and Chipotle Broth
Author: Epicurus.com Kitchens
- 1 1/2 pounds jumbo day boat scallops
- olive oil
- salt, to taste
- freshly-ground black pepper, to taste
- 5 Cups very finely-shredded Napa cabbage
- Toasted sesame oil; optional
- 3/4 Cup cooked rice beans (substitute adzuki beans)
- Shellfish-chipotle stock; see * note
- chopped fresh chives
- tangerine olive oil
- Remove side muscle from scallops and discard.
- Drizzle a tablespoon or two of olive oil over scallops and season with salt and pepper.
- To serve, heat 2 tablespoons of oil, preferably in a non-stick skillet, over moderately-high heat.
- Quickly sear scallops on both sides until golden-brown but still slightly translucent in the center.
- Be careful not to overcook -- the whole process should take 2 to 3 minutes.
- Wipe out saute pan and heat another tablespoon of oil.
- Saute cabbage briefly until crisp tender (1 to 2 minutes) with 2 to 3 drops of sesame oil, if desired.
- Divide cabbage among 6 large, shallow soup plates and mound in center.
- Sprinkle a heaping tablespoon or two of rice beans around cabbage and ladle an ounce or two of stock on beans.
- Place scallops on top of cabbage and garnish with chopped chives and drops of tangerine oil. Serve immediately.
- This recipe yields 6 servings.
- Recipe Source: JOHN ASH
* Note: See the Shellfish-Chipotle Stock recipe which is included in this collection.