Schinkenfleckerln is an outstanding ham and noodle casserole, that’s warming, soothing and incredibly comforting. Serve it with a side salad of tomatoes or vegetables. Go on, we dare you to pronounce it three times fast!
- 1/4 Cup milk, skim or whole
- 1 egg, separated
- 1 Tablespoon butter, melted, divided
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 5 ounces ham, cut into 1/2-inch cubes (Westphalian or boiled)
- 1 Cup cooked noodles (medium width)
- 1 dash salt
- 1 pinch nutmeg, freshly grated
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- In small mixing bowl combine milk, egg yolk, 2 1/2 teaspoons butter, and the pepper, mixing thoroughly; add ham and noodles and stir well to thoroughly combine.
- In separate bowl beat egg white with salt until stiff but not dry; gently fold into noodle mixture.
- Grease 2-cup casserole with remaining butter and spoon noodle mixture into casserole. Sprinkle with nutmeg.
- Bake until browned on top, 45 to 50 minutes.
- Makes 2 servings.
Apple Tart with Hazelnut Brown Sugar Topping has a delicate nature, but a hearty flavor and makes a...
An exceptional Indian dish, Diana's Moong Dal with Potatoes and Swiss Chard offers a superb vegetari...
Venetian Cornmeal Cake is a very old recipe, modernized here by Mary Ann Esposito. The dense cornmea...
There's nothing quite like Roasted Turkey with Puerto Rican Flavors for celebrating Thanksgiving Pu...