An absolutely wonderful pairing of potato and leek, Scalloped Potatoes and Leeks, served as a side dish is flavorful, creamy and luscious.
Scalloped Potatoes and Leeks
Author: Epicurus.com Kitchens
Recipe type: Side Dish
Serves: 6 servings
- 1 Tablespoon butter
- 2 Cups leek, thinly sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
- 1 3/4 Cups red potatoes, peeled and sliced 1/8-inch thick
- vegetable cooking spray
- 1 2/3 Cups milk, 1% lowfat
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 egg
- 2 Tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
- Preheat oven to 425-degrees.
- Melt butter in a medium saucepan over medium-high heat. Add leek and garlic; stir well.
- Cover and cook 5 minutes. Remove from heat; set aside.
- Arrange one-third of potato slices in an 11-by-7-inch baking dish coated with cooking spray; top with half of leek mixture. Repeat layers, ending with potato slices.
- Combine milk, salt, pepper, nutmeg, and egg in a bowl; stir well with a wire whisk. Pour over potato mixture, and bake, uncovered, 30 minutes.
- Sprinkle cheese over top, and bake an additional 15 minutes.