Savory Spinach Cheesecake
Author: Epicurus.com Kitchens
Recipe type: Appetizers
- 1/2 Cup bread crumbs
- 1 Tablespoon butter; melted
- 1 teaspoon Parmesan cheese; grated
- 1 small onion; chopped
- vegetable oil
- 1/4 pound fresh mushrooms; sliced thin
- 1 1/2 pounds cream cheese
- 4 eggs
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/4 Cup light cream
- 1/4 Cup beer
- 1 pound fresh spinach; washed
- Combine bread crumbs, butter and Parmesan; press into an 8 inch springform pan. Bake at 350 degrees F. for 10 minutes until lightly browned. Remove from oven; lower oven temperature to 300 degrees F.
- In a skillet, saute onion until translucent. Add mushrooms & cook until they sweat. Cool. Cream cheese, eggs, nutmeg, light cream & beer together until light and fluffy.
- Steam, drain & chop spinach coarsely. Squeeze in paper towels to remove excess liquid. Carefully fold mushroom-onion mixture & spinach into cheese mixture.
- Pour into prepared crust & bake for 1 1/2 hours. Turn off oven; set door slightly ajar; and allow cake to cool for 2 hours in oven.
- Refrigerate for at least 3 hours before removing from pan.
Garnish with carrot curls or a tomato rose.
Serve with rye bread rounds, melba toast or light biscuits or crackers. Goes well with beer and is a great dish for a football party.