The delightful flavors of Savory Garden Vegetable Turnovers make this a great choice for luncheon, brunch or picnics. Change the vegetable selection by season for a year-round dish.
- 3/4 Cup finely-diced onion
- 3/4 Cup finely-diced carrot
- 1/2 Cup finely-diced celery
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- 1 1/2 Cups red skin potatoes (scrubbed well) and cut into 1/2" cubes
- 1/2 Cup finely-diced zucchini
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 3 Tablespoons freshly-chopped parsley
- 2 Tablespoons nutritional yeast flakes
- 1 Tablespoon freshly-chopped thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly-ground black pepper
- 1/2 recipe Whole Wheat Turnover Pastry Dough (see recipe) enough for 9 turnovers
- In a non-stick skillet, saute the onion, carrot, and celery in olive oil for 3 minutes. Add the potatoes, zucchini, and garlic, and saute an additional 8 to 10 minutes or until vegetables are tender. Add the fresh herbs, nutritional yeast, salt, and pepper, and stir well to combine. Taste, adjust seasonings as needed, and set aside to cool.
- Prepare the dough for the turnovers. Then cut the 5-inch and 6-inch circles of dough as described in the turnover pastry dough recipe. On each of the prepared 6-inch circles of dough, place 1/3 cups of the vegetable filling. Wet the edges of the circles of dough with water, place the 5-inch circles of dough on top of the filling, press down around the edges of the dough to seal, and crimp the edges with a fork.
- Use a spatula to carefully transfer the turnovers to a non-stick cookie sheet, and bake at 350 degrees for 15 to 20 minutes or until lightly browned.
- Serve the turnovers hot or cold. Allow them to cool completely on a rack before wrapping them individually in aluminum foil to preserve freshness. They can also be frozen in an airtight container after baking for later use.
Variation: Other vegetables may be used in the turnovers such as, peppers, tomatoes, broccoli, cauliflower, peas, greens, beans, etc.
The Oyster Bar in New York's Grand Central Terminus has made this glorious oyster stew the stuff of ...
Steamed Maine Lobster on Fettuccine with Carrot, Ginger, Snow Peas and Cognac-Coral Butter Sauce is ...
An afternoon cup of tea or coffee is always best with a delicious piece of our moist Cinnamon Swirl ...
Carrageen Moss Pudding is an amazing dessert of delectable flavor. Its key ingredient comes from car...