Light, refreshing, crunchy, spicy and so delectable that one could enjoy this salad every day and never tire of its amazing combination of flavors and textures. Magnificent!
- 8 ounces young frisee; to 10 ounces
- 8 ounces watercress; to 10 ounces
- 5 ounces fresh mild goat cheese; at room temperature
- 1 Tablespoon milk or light cream; to 2 Tablespoons
- 1 Tablespoon mixed chopped fresh herbs (such as chives, chervil, parsley, tarragon)
- salt, to taste
- freshly-ground black pepper, to taste
- 6 sun-dried tomatoes
- 12 slices good baguette; cut thin diagonally
- 3 Tablespoons olive oil
- Mustard vinaigrette; see* Note
- crisply fried lardons (cooked strips) of pancetta (or bacon or onions)
- Wash and spin dry the frisee and watercress. Remove and discard tough stems. Set aside (you should have 6 to 8 cups).
- In a small bowl, cream together the goat cheese, milk, chopped herbs, salt and pepper.
- Spread six of the bread slices with the goat cheese mixture and top with a sun-dried tomato.
- Place remaining six bread slices on top to form a sandwich.
- Heat a non-stick skillet with the oil over moderate heat. Saute the sandwiches (in batches if necessary) on both sides until they are golden. Transfer to paper towels and keep warm.
- Quickly toss greens with Mustard Vinaigrette.
- Cut Croques Monsieurs into 1/2-inch wide fingers. Mound dressed greens and Croque Monsieurs attractively on 6 plates and garnish with crisp bacon or pancetta lardons, if desired.
- Serve immediately.
This recipe yields 6 servings.
Recipe Source: JOHN ASH