Savory biscotti are great accompaniments for soups or salads or, served with dips, they pair perfectly for appetizers. Crisp and delicious.
Savory Cheddar Biscotti
Author: Epicurus.com Kitchens
Recipe type: Breads and Rolls
- 2 Cups all-purpose flour
- 2 Tablespoon yellow cornmeal
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 Cup nonfat sour cream
- 2 Tablespoons butter - melted
- 3 egg whites
- 1/2 Cup shredded smoked Cheddar cheese (2 ounces)
- vegetable cooking spray
- Combine first 6 ingredients in a large bowl. Combine sour cream and next 2 ingredients in a small bowl; stir with a wire whisk until blended. Stir in cheese; add to flour mixture,stirring until well-blended (dough will be crumbly).
- Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured surface, and knead lightly 7 or 8 times. Shape dough into a 16-inch-long roll. Place roll on a baking sheet coated with cooking spray, and flatten roll to 1-inch thickness.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes. Remove roll from baking sheet to a wire rack, and let cool 10 minutes. Cut roll diagonally into 24 (1/2-inch) slices, and place, cut sides down, on baking sheet. Reduce oven temperature to 325 degrees, and bake 15 minutes. Turn slices over, and bake an additional 15 minutes (biscotti will be slightly soft in center but will harden as they cool). Remove from baking size: 1 biscotti).