Sausage Stuffed Pot Roast
Author: Epicurus.com Kitchens
Recipe type: Beef
- 3 1/2 pounds roast (rump, standing rib) *
- 1/2 pound cooked Polish sausage **
- 1 each small onion, chopped fine
- 1 each green or red pepper, cut-up
- 1 water as needed (2 Cups)
- 1 teaspoon season salt
- * Can use a top round roast also - trim all visible fat from outside of Roast. ** Best to use 25% reduced fat sausage (70 calories Per serving)
- Be very cautious. Place roast on a table or counter top and push a wooden spoon through the center of the roast. Pull the wide part all the way through to create an opening in the meat. Push the sausage through the hole and cut off even on the ends. Sprinkle seasoned salt all over the roast (any desired seasonings).
- In a Dutch oven, over medium high Heat, brown the meat well on all sides. Add onion, pepper and water to pan. Reduce heat to low and simmer, covered for about 2 to 3 hours or until almost cooked to desired doneness. Add desired vegetables and simmer for about 20 minutes or until vegetables are tender. After Cooking, let stand covered for about 15 minutes. Slice thin to serve. Vegetables are served on the side. Juice left in pot makes an excellent gravy base after defatting.
Note: a knife can be used to cut a slot in the roast.