This Southern classic is always a delicious start to the day. Made with thick, rich and creamy sauce, flavorful sausage and flaky biscuits, they are simply wonderful.
- 1 pound breakfast sausage
- 1/4 Cup flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 Cups milk; or half milk, half cream
- Make the biscuits with baking mix such as Jiffy or Bisquik, cutting in some additional butter if fat and calories don't scare you.
- Break up the sausage as you brown it in frying pan. Then remove meat and set aside.
- Drain all but about 1/4 cup of the fat from the pan; remove pan from heat and stir in flour.
- Add milk gradually, stirring. Return pan to heat and cook as with any white sauce, stirring until thick and smooth.
- Return sausage to sauce, turn heat low, and let simmer a bit to blend flavors.
- Taste for seasoning; you are unlikely to want pepper, but you may need a bit more salt.
Serve with eggs of your choice, but scrambled are recommended.