Sauerbraten (Pot Roast)
Author: Epicurus.com Kitchens
Recipe type: Beef
- 4 pounds beef **
- 12 peppercorns, black
- 1 carrot
- 1 Tablespoon sugar
- salt and pepper
- 1 pint vinegar
- 4 bay leaf
- 4 cloves
- 6 onions
- 12 gingersnap cookies, crushed
- ** Use beef chuck, rump, or round.
- *** Notes: Watch meat while it sits and add more vinegar and water (half of each) to keep meat covered. A similar recipe in a food magazine used red vinegar and red wine for the marinade and the beef was left in the refrigerator for about 9 days.
- Wipe meat with damp cloth and then sprinkle thoroughly with salt and pepper. Place meat in an earthen dish and add vinegar and enough water to cover. Add the bay leaves, peppercorns and cloves, and let stand tightly covered for 5 days in a cool place. Cut carrots in strips; slice onions.
- Put meat in a Dutch oven and brown well on all sides. Add the carrots and onions and 1 cup of the spiced vinegar. Cover tightly and cook over low flame about 3 hours or until meat is tender.
- When meat is cooked, add the sugar and crumbled ginger snaps and cook for 10 minutes. This makes delicious gravy. If necessary, more of the spiced vinegar may be added.