Sauerbraten mit Ingwer Kuchen Sosse (Saurebraten with Gingersnap Sauce)
Author: Epicurus.com Kitchens
Recipe type: Beef
- 4 pounds rump roast; beef, boneless
- 2 onions; thinly sliced
- 8 peppercorns
- 4 cloves; whole
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 Cup white vinegar; mild
- 1 Cup water
- 1/2 Cup cider vinegar
- 1/4 Cup vegetable oil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 Cups water; boiling
- 10 gingersnaps
- 1/2 Cup sour cream
- 1 Tablespoon unbleached flour
- Place the beef roast in a deep ceramic or glass bowl. Add onions, peppercorns, cloves, and bay leaf. Pour white vinegar and cider vinegar over the meat; chill, covered, for 4 days. Turn meat twice each day.
- Remove the meat from the marinade, dry it well with paper towels, and strain the marinade into a bowl. Reserve onions and 1 cup marinade.
- In a Dutch oven brown the meat on all sides in hot vegetable oil. Sprinkle meat with salt. Pour boiling water around the meat. sprinkle in crushed gingersnaps, and simmer covered for 1 1/2 hours. Turn often.
- Add 1 cup of reserved marinade and cook meat 2 hours or more, until tender. Remove the meat and keep it warm. Strain the cooking juices into a large saucepan.
- In a small bowl mix sour cream with flour. Stir it into the cooking juices and cook, stirring, until sauce is thickened and smooth.
- Slice meat in 1/4 inch slices; add to hot gravy.
- Arrange meat on a heated platter and pour extra sauce over it.