Sauerbraten Klopse (Sauerbraten Meatballs)
Author: Epicurus.com Kitchens
Recipe type: Beef
- 1 pound ground beef; lean
- 1/4 Cup milk
- 1/4 Cup bread crumbs; dry
- 1/8 teaspoon cloves; ground
- 1/8 teaspoon allspice; ground
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- pepper, to taste
- 2 Tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1/2 Cup vinegar
- 3/4 teaspoons ginger; ground
- 1 bay leaf
- 4 Tablespoons sugar; brown
- 2 Tablespoons unbleached flour
- Mix beef, milk, crumbs, cloves, allspice, salt and pepper. Form into meatballs.
- Brown meatballs in hot oil. Drain off fat.
- Add 1 cup water, vinegar, ginger, bay leaf, and brown sugar. Cover and simmer 1/2 hour. Skim off fat. Remove meatballs and keep them warm.
- Mix flour and 2 Tablespoons water. Slowly stir into the pan juices to make gravy. Pour gravy over meatballs.
- Serve with buttered noodles.