Saucy Swedish Meatballs
Author: Epicurus.com Kitchens
Recipe type: Beef
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- 1 large egg
- 1 Cup fresh bread crumbs, from 2 slices bread
- 1/4 Cup club soda
- 3 Tablespoons chopped fresh dill or
- 1 1/2 Tablespoons dried dill weed
- 1 1/4 teaspoons salt
- 3/4 teaspoons freshly ground black pepper
- 3 Tablespoons butter
- 1 package (8 ounce) medium egg noodles
- 8 ounces fresh green beans, cut into 1 1/2 inch pieces, about 2 Cups
- 2 Cups sliced fresh mushrooms, about 8 ounces
- 1/3 Cup sour cream
- fresh dill sprigs, optional
- In large bowl, combine egg, bread crumbs, club soda, 2 tbsp. chopped dill, 3/4 tsp. salt and 1/4 tsp. pepper; using hands or wooden spoon, blend well. Shape mixture into 1 1/4" balls.
- In 12" skillet, over medium-high heat, melt 2 tbsp. butter; add meatballs; cook about 12 minutes, turning frequently until browned on all sides.
- Meanwhile, prepare noodles according to package directions, add green beans to boiling water along with noodles; do not add salt.
- When meatballs are browned, remove to plate using slotted spoon.
- To drippings in skillet, add remaining 1 tbsp. butter; melt over medium-high heat. Add mushrooms; cook about 5 minutes, stirring frequently until crisp-tender.
- Return meatballs to skillet along with 3/4 cup water and remaining 1 tbsp. chopped dill, 1/2 tsp. salt and 1/4 tsp. pepper.
- Increase heat to high; bring to boil. Reduce heat to low; cook, covered, 5 minutes until meatballs are cooked through.
- Stir in sour cream; cook 2 to 3 minutes longer until heated through.
- To serve: Drain noodles and green beans; arrange on serving platter. Spoon meatball mixture over noodles; toss quickly.
- Garnish with dill sprigs, if desired.
- Makes 4 servings.