The unique clean flavor of dragon fruit lends itself nicely to many different recipes, including this delicious tropical salad. Enjoy this salad for weekend brunch or a great luncheon. Dragon fruit is available in many American supermarkets.
- 4 Cups fresh greens, such as mache
- 1 dragon fruit, skin removed and diced
- arils (fruit/seeds) of 1 fresh pomegranate
- 1/2 Cup raw macadamia nuts
- 1 avocado, peeled, seeded and sliced
- 1/4 Cup extra virgin olive oil
- juice and zest of one fresh lime
- juice of 1/2 lemon
- 5 stems fresh mint, rinsed, leaves and stems
- 1/2 avocado
- 2 teaspoons agave syrup
- pinch sea salt
- 2 to 3 Tablespoons filtered water for consistency
- Divide greens between 2 large bowls or plates and top with remaining ingredients. Serve with dressing on the side.
- Place all ingredients in a blender and combine until mint is pureed.
Dragon fruit is low in calories and offers numerous nutrients, including Vitamin C, phosphorus, calcium, plus fiber and antioxidants.
Dragon fruit tastes wonderful! - sweet and crunchy, with a flavor that's like a cross between kiwi and pear.
Shopping - To choose a ripe dragon fruit: look for bright, even-colored skin. If the fruit has a lot of blotches, it may be over-ripe (a few is normal). Another sign of over-ripe dragon fruit is a very dry, brittle brown stem, or brown on the tips of the "leaves". Hold the dragon fruit in your palm and try pressing the skin with your thumb or fingers - it should give a little (like a ripe kiwi), but shouldn't be too soft or mushy. If it's very firm, it will need to ripen for a few days.
Cut the fruit open with a sharp chef's knife, lengthwise and use a tablespoon to scoop the flesh out by running the spoon around the inner skin, similar to scooping out an avocado.
One bite of Tequila-Lime Barbecued Shrimp and your palate will feel like you're on a beach in Acapul...
Pork and Mushroom Pie is packed with rich, earthy flavors that fill body and soul with warmth and pl...
Benne Cakes are a food from West Africa. Benne means sesame seeds. The sesame seeds are eaten for go...
Whether you have a wild or more commercial turkey for your Sunday dinner, this is one of the best re...