Author: Epicurus.com Kitchens
Recipe type: Accompaniments
Serves: 200 ml (7 fl oz)
- 3 egg yolks
- 25 g (1 ounce) caster sugar
- 50 ml (2 fl ounce) Marsala, Madeira, sweet Sherry or sweet white wine
- small strip of lemon rind
- Beat the yolks and sugar together in a heatproof bowl until thick and pale.
- Gradually whisk in the chosen wine. Add the lemon rind.
- Pour the mixture into a double saucepan or stand the bowl over a saucepan of simmering water.
- Cook until thick and creamy, whisking all the time.
- When the whisk is lifted out of the mixture it should leave a trail that lasts for 2 - 3 seconds.
- Remove the lemon rind.
- Serve at once.
The French version of that Italian favourite, <a href="https://www.epicurus.com/Glossary/zabaglione-5/40555">Zabaglione</a>, <a href="https://www.epicurus.com/Glossary/sabayon-zabaglione/17879">Sabayon</a> in usually served warm as an accompaniment to steamed pudding.
Sabayon may also be made with several other liqueurs. Try it with Tia Maria for a subtle coffee flavor.