There’s a subtle hint of sweetness in every bite of Russian Brown Bread. Perfect as an accompaniment with soups, or for making sandwiches.
Russian Brown Bread
Author: Epicurus.com Kitchens
Recipe type: Baked Goods
Serves: 4 loaves
- 1 Cup water
- 2 Cups milk
- 2 Tablespoons bacon fat
- 3/4 Cup dark molasses
- 9 Cups flour
- 2 Cups sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 packages active dry yeast
- In saucepan, mix water, milk, bacon fat and molasses.
- Heat to lukewarm.
- Sift 4 cups flour, sugar and salt together.
- Sprinkle yeast over this. Add the lukewarm mixture and beat with a mixer until smooth.
- Gradually add enough of remaining 5 cups flour, to form a stiff dough.
- Knead on a floured surface until dough is no longer sticky.
- Put the dough in a greased bowl, and place in a warm place until it has doubled in bulk.
- Punch down, knead, and shape into 4 loaves.
- Place in greased loaf pans and let rise again until double in bulk, about 1 to 1-1/2 hours.
- Cover and bake at 325 degrees for 1 hour.
- Remove from oven.
- Brush tops with melted butter and allow to stand for 5 minutes.
- Remove from pans and cool on wire racks.