Rum and Chocolate Bread Pudding is Vegetarian, Gluten free, Wheat free and Dairy free.
Rum and Chocolate Bread Pudding (Gluten-free)
Author: Epicurus.com Kitchens
Recipe type: Dessert
Serves: 6 servings
- 170 g (6 ounces) (about 6 slices) of Gluten free white bread, (available from health food stores and by mail order)
- 240 ml (8 fluid ounces) 1 Cup of soya cream
- 100 ml (3 1/2 fl ounces) 1/3 Cup of soya milk
- 140 g (5 ounces) of (DF/GF) continental dark chocolate
- 55 g (2 ounces) scant 1/4 Cup of caster sugar
- 55 g (2 ounces) 1/4 cup of dairy-free margarine
- 1 teaspoon of ground cinnamon
- 5 Tablespoons of dark rum
- 3 large free-range eggs
- 1 teaspoon of pure Madagascan vanilla extract
- 26 x 19 x 5 cm (10 1/2 x 7 1/2 x 2 inch ovenproof dish, oiled
- Preheat the oven to 350°F (180°C) gas 4
- Remove the crusts from the bread and cut the bread squares into triangles.
- Put the soya cream and milk, chocolate, sugar, margarine and cinnamon into a bowl.
- Place the bowl over a pan of simmering water until the sugar has dissolved and the mixture melted.
- Stir in the rum.
- In a separate bowl, whisk the eggs and pour them into the chocolate mixture.
- Add the vanilla extract and whisk the eggs again.
- Spoon one third of the mixture into the dish and arrange the bread triangles over it, overlapping and pointed side up.
- Pour in the remainder of the chocolate mixture and, using a wooden spoon, gently press down the bread to ensure that all the bread is submerged.
- Leave to stand for 2 hours and then transfer it to the refrigerator for 4 hours. Keep the bowl covered with clingfilm (plastic wrap).
- Pour some water into a shallow baking tin and stand the bread and butter pudding dish in it.
- Bake for 40 to 45 minutes until puffed up in the centre. Allow to stand for 10 minutes before eating.