Rotkrautsalat (Red Cabbage Salad)
Author: Epicurus.com Kitchens
Recipe type: Salads and Dressings
- 5 bacon slices
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 2 Tablespoons vinegar
- 1/4 Cup wine; red or white
- 1/2 red cabbage; head, shredded
- 2 Tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 Tablespoon caraway seeds
- Fry bacon in medium-size fry pan until crisp. Remove and reserve bacon.
- Add sugar, vinegar, and wine to bacon fat; stir and cook until sugar is dissolved. Pour this hot mixture over the cabbage.
- Toss with vegetable oil, salt, pepper, and caraway seeds.
- Sprinkle crumbled bacon over mixture. Serve at room temperature.