Rotkohl (Red Cabbage)
Red cabbage cooked in this delightful recipe is the perfect accompaniment to German roasts and schnitzel.
Author: Epicurus.com Kitchens
Recipe type: Side Dish
- 2 Tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 onions; small, sliced
- 2 pounds red cabbage; shredded
- 2 Tablespoons vinegar
- salt, to taste
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 apple; large, tart*, or
- 1/2 Cup applesauce
- 1/4 pound salt pork
- 1/2 Cup red wine
- 1/2 Cup beef broth; hot
- * Core and peel apple, then finely chop it.
- Heat oil in a non-reactive Dutch oven and saute onions 3 minutes. Add cabbage and immediately pour vinegar over cabbage to prevent it from losing its red color. Sprinkle with salt and sugar.
- Add chopped apple or applesauce and a piece of salt pork.
- Pour in red wine and hot beef broth. Cover and simmer for 45 to 60 minutes. Cabbage should be just tender, not soft.
- Shortly before end of cooking time, remove salt pork; cube and return it to the cabbage if desired. Correct seasonings and serve.