Root Vegetable and Potato Pancakes provide a glorious side dish with roasts and braised meats, or make a great breakfast dish. You can freeze them, and reheat in the oven. They’re delicious with apple sauce or sour cream. Made in very small portions, these may also be served as enticing appetizers at cocktail parties.
- 1 pound red skin potatoes (peeled, shredded)
- 1 1/2 Cups shredded peeled parsnip
- 1 1/2 Cups shredded peeled carrot
- 1 Cup shredded peeled beets
- 3/4 Cup thinly-sliced green onion
- 1/4 Cup freshly-chopped parsley
- 4 to 5 eggs, large, beaten
- 1/2 Cup unbleached flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly-ground black pepper
- safflower oil (for frying)
- In a large bowl, place all of the shredded vegetables, green onion, and parsley, and toss well to combine.
- In a medium bowl, add the eggs, and whisk vigorously together for 3 to 4 minutes or until very frothy. Add the flour, along with the remaining ingredients, and toss well to combine. Pour the egg mixture into the vegetables and mix well.
- In a non-stick skillet, place 1 tablespoon safflower oil, and place the skillet over medium heat. Using a 1/4-cup measuring cup, carefully place portions of the vegetable mixture into the hot oil. Using a spatula, gently flatten them into thin patties. Cook the patties over medium heat for 3 to 4 minutes or until golden brown and crispy around the edges. Carefully flip over the patties and cook an additional 3 to 4 minutes or until golden brown and crispy around the edges. Drain the vegetable pancakes on a clean, lint-free towel, or natural unbleached paper towels.
- Cook the remaining vegetable mixture, in batches, following the same cooking procedure, and adding additional safflower oil, as needed, to prevent sticking. Transfer the finished root vegetable and potato pancakes to a non-stick cookie sheet, and place them in a 250 degree oven to keep warm while cooking the remaining pancakes. Serve them plain, or with your choice of tofu sour cream, Lemon-Dill Tofu Cream, or Sauteed Maple Apples (see recipes).
- This recipe yields 20 to 24 pancakes.
The wealth of flavors in Blueberry Waldorf Salad give all who taste it an overwhelming sense of comf...
A mixture of herbs, garlic and breadcrumbs make the perfect Herb-Crusted Rack of Lamb. Serve with ma...
Pampushky are wonderful Ukrainian doughnuts, filled with not only preserves but outstanding flavor. ...
Wild rice makes an exceptional basis for a superb stuffing. Wild Rice Butternut Squash Stuffing is ...