A hearty rye bread perfect for making outstanding sandwiches, or as an accompaniment to soups, salads and stews. Roggenbrot is delicious.
Roggenbrot (Rye Bread)
Author: Epicurus.com Kitchens
Recipe type: Baked Goods
Serves: 2 loaves
- 2 packets yeast; active dry
- 1/2 Cup warm water(110-120 degrees)
- 1 1/2 Cups milk; lukewarm
- 2 Tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 Cup molasses
- 2 Tablespoons butter
- 3 1/4 Cups rye flour; unsifted
- 2 1/2 Cups bread flour; unsifted
- Dissolve yeast in warm water.
- In a large bowl combine milk, sugar, and salt. Use a mixer to beat in molasses, butter, yeast mixture and 1 cup of rye flour. Use a wooden spoon to mix in the remaining rye flour. Add white flour by stirring until the dough is stiff enough to knead.
- Knead 5 to 10 minutes, adding flour as needed. If the dough sticks to your hands or the board add more flour. Cover dough and let rise 1 1/2 hours or until double.
- Punch down dough and divide to form 2 round loaves. Let loaves rise on a greased baking sheet until double, about 1 1/2 hours.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Bake for 30 to 35 minutes. Makes 2 round loaves.