There’s nothing as satisfying as Roasted Lemon Chicken for a grand family dinner. Simple, delicious and spectacular.
Roasted Lemon Chicken
Author: Epicurus.com Kitchens
Recipe type: Main Course
- 2 Cups boiling water
- 1/3 Cup Kosher salt, plus additional
- 3 Tablespoons sugar
- 3 Tablespoons brown sugar
- 3 sprigs thyme
- 3 Tablespoons garlic cloves
- 1 1/2 teaspoons black peppercorns
- 1 Lemon, halved
- 1/2 Gallon cold water
- 2 chickens, whole
- olive oil, as needed
- 3 lemons, zested, then sliced
- ground black pepper, as needed
- 2 sprigs thyme for roasting
- In a large heat-proof bowl, combine boiling water with salt, sugars, thyme, garlic, peppercorns and lemon halves. Let rest for 20 minutes. Stir in cold water, add chickens and refrigerate overnight.
- Remove chickens from the brine; discard brine. Drain well, pat dry, truss and rub with olive oil. Mix lemon zest with an equal amount of salt. Rub mixture over each chicken. Season with pepper. Add extra thyme sprigs to roasting pan.
- Roast chickens at 425 degrees F. until cooked through, about 45 minutes. Let rest. To serve, quarter the chicken, serving half a bird to each guest.