Richly flavorful, Roasted Garlic Mashed Potatoes pairs perfectly with roasts or seafood. Simple to make, delicious to eat. Adding gravy seems almost criminal.
Roasted Garlic Mashed Potatoes
Author: Epicurus.com Kitchens
Recipe type: Side Dish
- 12 cloves garlic (to 14, unpeeled)
- 4 pounds potatoes (preferably Yukon golds) peeled, and cut into cubes
- 2/3 Cup milk
- salt, to taste
- freshly-ground white pepper, to taste
- 2 Tablespoon freshly-snipped chives
- paprika, for garnish
- Place the unpeeled garlic cloves in a pie pan and bake at 450 degrees for 25 to 30 minutes or until cloves are soft. Remove the pie pan from the oven and set aside to cool.
- Meanwhile, in a large pot, place the cubed potatoes, cover them with water, and cook over medium heat for 20 minutes or until tender. Drain the potatoes, saving the cooking liquid for use in the mashed potatoes, and the remaining cooking liquid can be used in soups or sauces.
- Transfer the drained potatoes to a mixer (or return to the large pot if using a hand mixer or potato masher) and set aside for 5 minutes to dry.
- Using your fingers, squeeze the cloves of garlic from their skins, and place them in a small bowl. Using a fork, mash the cloves of garlic to form a paste.
- Add the mashed garlic and milk, sprinkle with a little salt and white pepper, and whip the potatoes until smooth. Add a little of the reserved potato cooking liquid, if needed, to achieve a creamy consistency. Taste and adjust seasonings, as needed.
- Transfer the mashed potatoes to a large bowl, sprinkle with the snipped chives and a little paprika before serving.
- This recipe yields 2 quarts or 6 to 8 servings.
Serving size: 1 portion Calories: 7 Sodium: 2mg Protein: 1g