Nothing is more heart-warming than roasted chestnuts. Coming onto the market in Autumn through much of the Winter, these are the food of holiday lore. “Chestnuts roasting on an open fire…”
- 1 1/2 pounds chestnuts in the shell
- 1/4 Cup vegetable oil
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- With a sharp knife, make an X-shaped cut on the flat side of each shell.
- Arrange chestnuts in a roasting pan.
- Sprinkle with oil; toss lightly.
- Roast, uncovered, for 10 to 15 minutes.
- Cool just until easy to handle, then remove shells and inner brown skins.
- Use chestnuts in recipes or to eat out of hand.