Roast Turkey with Corn Bread Stuffing is an outstanding recipe for a holiday meal, or one served any Autumn or Winter weekend. Simply delicious. Happy Thanksgiving to all!
- 1 teaspoon poultry seasoning
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 3/4 Cup chicken broth
- 1 large egg (lightly beaten)
- 1 fresh or frozen and thawed turkey (12 pounds)
- 1 Tablespoon vegetable oil
- 3 Tablespoons butter
- 1 large yellow onion chopped)
- 5 Cups crumbled corn bread
- 5 Cups toasted fresh bread crumbs
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- In a medium-size saucepan, melt the butter over moderate heat. Add the onion and cook for 5 minutes or until tender. Remove from the heat. In a very large bowl, combine the corn bread, bread crumbs, baking powder, poultry seasoning, and pepper. Stir in the onion mixture. In a small bowl, whisk together broth and egg. Stir into the corn bread mixture. Toss to coat well.
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F. Rinse turkey, drain and pat dry. Remove neck and giblets; set aside to make the Giblet Gravy. Stuff and truss turkey. Place, breast-side-up, on a rack in a large roasting pan. Brush with oil. Insert roasting thermometer in turkey thigh without touching bone. Spoon remaining stuffing into a lightly greased 2-quart casserole; cover and refrigerate.
- Roast turkey for 3 to 3 1/2 hours or until thermometer registers 180 degrees, basting often and covering with foil to prevent overbrowning if necessary. Bake the covered casserole of stuffing alongside turkey during the last 30 minutes of roasting, adding an additional 2 to 3 tablespoons chicken broth if stuffing is dry. Let turkey stand for 15 to 20 minutes before carving.
- Meanwhile, cook neck and giblets for giblet gravy. Reserve 2 tablespoons of the pan drippings from roast turkey for giblet gravy. Prepare gravy. Carve turkey, discarding skin. Serve turkey and dressing with gravy.
Some cooks add eggs or baking powder to corn bread stuffing to give it a fluffier texture. If you wish, you may omit the egg or use an egg substitute.
Mary Ann Esposito’s Sardinian Fish Soup is a treasure trove of delicate flavors found on the bejewel...
The amazing flavor of this dish is sublimely complemented when served over Jasmine rice. Its rich T...
Hot Maracaibo Pudding is an exceptional chocolate dessert, pairing gloriously with vanilla ice cream...
Blackberry Fool is a luscious pudding made by blending pureed blackberries with whipped cream. Garni...