The Roast Turkey Reuben is a modified classic using hand-carved turkey as a foundation for a superior sandwich yielding outstanding flavor and delight.
Roast Turkey Reuben
Author: Epicurus.com Kitchens
Recipe type: Sandwiches
- 1 1/2 teaspoons fresh thyme, stemmed
- 3/4 teaspoon garlic, roasted.
- 2 Tablespoons canola oil
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 carrot, roughly chopped
- 2 small onion, rough chopped
- 1/2 stalks celery, roughly chopped
- 3/4 pound boneless turkey breast, cooked, hand carved
- 1/4 Cup water
- butter, as needed
- 8 slices hearty bread (such as rye or pumpernickle)
- 8 slices plain Havarti cheese or Swiss
- 1 1/2 pound sweet potato fries, cooked
- 4 dill pickles
- Apple-Pear Slaw, recipe follows
- Remoulade Sauce, recipe follows
- 3/4 teaspoon caraway seeds
- 1 1/2 teaspoons canola oil
- 1/2 Cup white cabbage, thinly sliced
- 1 small Granny Smith apple, peeled and cored, grated
- 1 small firm pear, peeled and grated
- 1 Tablespoon clover honey
- 1 Tablespoon cider vinegar
- 2 Tablespoons water
- 1/4 Cup small onion, roughly chopped
- 1/4 Cup capers, drained
- 1/2 celery stalk, roughly chopped
- 3/4 teaspoon fresh tarragon, stemmed
- 1/2 Cup mayonnaise
- 1/4 Cup ketchup
- Combine thyme, garlic, oil, salt and pepper in a small mixing bowl; set aside.
- Place the carrots, large onion and celery in a roasting pan. Place the turkey breast on top of the vegetables. Add 1 cup water. Rub the turkey breast with the thyme mixture. Roast uncovered in a preheated 325 degree F oven for 45-60 minutes or until cooked to an internal temperature of 170 degrees F. Remove from the oven and allow to rest. Discard vegetables.
- If using leftovers, omit all the steps and ingredients above and substitute the leftover breast meat.
- Slice or shave the turkey breast. Portion into 3 ounce packages and refrigerate.
- Butter 2 slices of hearty bread. Place each bread slice, buttered side down, in a skillet over low heat. Add 2 slices of Havarti or Swiss cheese, 3 ounces of turkey breast, and 1/3 cup of the Apple-Pear Slaw. When the cheese begins to melt, place the skillet under the broiler to heat the turkey and slaw.
- Serve the Turkey Reuben with 6 ounces sweet potato fries and 2 ounces Remoulade Sauce. Garnish with 1 pickle. If desired, nap the plate rim with roasted pepper oil (optional, for presentation).
- In a heated saute pan, toast the caraway seeds. Add oil and cabbage and saute until slightly soft. Add the apples and pears and cook until tender.
- Stir in the honey, vinegar, and 2 Tablespoons water. Cook until the liquid is reduced to a syrupy consistency.
- In a food processor, fitted with a metal blade, process the small onion, capers, celery, and tarragon. Blend until fine. Add the mayonnaise and ketchup. Blend until well combined.
If you have leftover turkey breast, simply season hand-slice or shave it, add salt and pepper, and ignore the ingredients and instructions for roasting the turkey breast.