For a taste of joy, try our delectable Roast Shank of Veal. This recipe is particularly tasty with an exceptional gravy. Every bit is a delight.
Roast Shank of Veal
Veal shank is a most delicious meat.
Author: Epicurus.com Kitchens
Recipe type: Main Course
Serves: 6 servings
- 3 onions
- 5 pints (3 litres) water
- salt and freshly milled white pepper
- bouquet garni
- 1 bay leaf
- 3 juniper berries
- 3 white peppercorns
- 2 pounds (1 kg) veal shank
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne
- 2 Tablespoons vegetable oil
- 8 ounces (225 g) button mushrooms
- 2 pound (450 g) zucchini
- 4 tomatoes
- 2 ounces (50 g) butter
- generous pinch each of dried basil and thyme
- 4 fluid ounces (100 ml) creme fraiche
- Wash and halve 1 onion (without peeling). Bring the water to the boil in a large saucepan with a little salt, the bouquet garni, onion, bay leaf, juniper berries and peppercorns. Add the veal and boil it for 30 minutes in an open pan.
- Remove the veal from the saucepan, reserving the stock, wipe the meat dry and rub with salt, pepper and the paprika. Heat the oil in a roasting pan on the hob and seal the veal, then transfer the pan to a hot oven (220°C, 425°F, gas 7) and bake on the bottom shelf for 45 minutes.
- Spoon 3/4 pint (450 ml) of the stock around the meat.
- Chop the remaining onions. Trim and slice the mushrooms. Dice the zucchinis and cut the tomatoes into quarters.
- Braise the vegetables in the butter, season to taste and add the basil and thyme. Serve the vegetables with the meat. Strain the roasting juices and thicken them with the creme fraiche.
Serving size: per serving Calories: 525