This simple recipe is used as a basis for many pork recipes such as Pulled BBQ Pork or Roast Pork with Gravy. Simple and wonderful.
Roast Pork Shoulder
Author: Epicurus.com Kitchens
Recipe type: Pork
- 2 1/2 pounds fresh picnic shoulder (with bone)
- Provides cooked pork for 3 meals
- 1. Place picnic shoulder on rack in shallow roasting pan. If meat thermometer is used, insert it in center of roast so tip does not touch bone or fat.
- Roast, uncovered, at 325 degrees F (slow oven) until done, about 2-1/2 to 3 hours. To test for doneness, make a small cut next to bone into thicker part of meat.
- Juices will be clear when meat is done. Meat thermometer, if used, should read 170 degrees F.
- Remove fat from drippings. Defatted drippings will measure about 2 tablespoons; save half for Roast Pork with Gravy and half for Pork and Cabbage soup.
- Separate meat from rind, fat, and bone. Using the smaller pieces of pork, dice and save 1 cup of meat for Pork and Cabbage Soup. Slice remaining meat. Save half for sandwiches and half for Roast Pork with Gravy.
- Cooked pork will keep 3 to 4 days in the refrigerator.
* Thrifty Meals for Two: Making Food Dollars Count