An outstanding comfort food, Roast Meat Loaf is one with a variety of added flavors to enhance the recipe. Try it as a ring and fill with your favorite vegetable or side dish. Serve with mashed potatoes and green beans or peas.
- 2 pounds lean ground beef
- 1 egg; large
- 1/2 Cup milk
- 1/2 teaspoon savory or thyme
- 1/2 Cup ketchup or chili sauce
- 2 Tablespoons brown sugar; packed
- 1/2 Cup onion; chopped, 1 medium
- 1/2 Cup oats; quick-cooking
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 Tablespoon parsley; snipped
- Heat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Mix all the ingredients except the ketchup and brown sugar together.
- Press the mixture firmly in an ungreased loaf pan 8 1/2 X 4 1/2 X 2 1/2-inches.
- Loosen the edge with a spatula and unmold the loaf in an ungreased baking pan 13 X 9 X 2-inches. Mix the ketchup and sugar then spoon onto the loaf.
- Bake uncovered for about 1 to 1 1/4 hours.
- Remove the meat loaf to a plate and let stand for 10 minutes.
- Then slice and serve on a heated platter.
VARIATION: Roast Meat Loaf Ring: Press the meat mixture firmly into an ungreased 5 to 6 cup ring mold. Unmold in the baking pan by rapping mold against the bottom of the larger pan. Brush with the ketchup mixture.
Bake for about 50 minutes. If you desire, the hole in the ring can be filled with hot potato salad or creamed peas.
We made this in a bundt pan, and when done, filled the center with hash brown potatoes layered with peas for outstanding results.
Lavender Fig Tart is the epitome of summertime flavors. This extraordinary fruit tart has the disti...
The Irish excel at the preparation of trout and this recipe is no disappointment to that reputation....
Chicken Liver Pate is a glorious appetizer not often made in the United States, though incredibly po...
Cantonese Roast Duck, is a traditional way of cooking delectable meat, without vegetables, resulting...