Roast Lobster with Basil Mint Pesto
Author: John Ash
Recipe type: Shellfish
- 4 whole lobsters (1 3/4 pounds each)
- Basil Mint Pesto I:; see * Note
- 2 Cups coarse bread crumbs, panko preferred
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon zest
- 2 Tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- * Note: See the Basil Mint Pesto I recipe which is included in this collection.
- Split the lobsters in half lengthwise and gently crack the claws.
- Remove and discard the long thin intestinal tract that runs the length of the lobster and also the lumpy head sac that is located near the eyes.
- Remove and reserve the pale green liver or tomalley from the body cavity.
- Also remove and reserve the dark green coral (or roe) if present in the female.
- Prepare the Basil Mint Pesto and process in the tomalley and coral (if any).
- In a separate bowl, stir together the bread crumbs, zest and pesto to make a light mixture (not soggy).
- Add more bread crumbs if necessary. Divide and stuff each of the lobster halves with pesto-bread crumb mixture and drizzle with olive oil.
- Roast in a preheated 450 degree oven for 14 to 18 minutes or until lobsters are just cooked through.
- Meat should be moist and still very slightly translucent in the center.
- Serve immediately.
- Comments: Before splitting the lobster it can be humanely killed by inserting a knife decisively between its eyes. Alternately it can be killed by plunging in boiling court bouillion or water for 3 to 4 minutes.
- Unfortunately, we don?t know which (if any) is preferable to the lobster!
- Recipe Source: JOHN ASH