Roast Garlic and Cauliflower Mash is the perfect blending of mild garlic flavor and the rich flavor of caramelized cauliflower. It makes a great side dish with roast meats. It’s also a great spread on crackers.
- 1 head of fresh garlic
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 head of cauliflower, trimmed, core removed, cut into 1-inch florets
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon Kosher salt
- 2 Cups whole milk (may use skim milk)
- 1 teaspoon salt, divided
- 2 teaspoons unsalted butter
- 1 Tablespoon Roasted Garlic, or more if desired (recipe above)
- 1 Tablespoon chopped chives
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
- Peel away the outer layers of the garlic bulb skin, leaving the skins of the individual cloves intact. Using a knife, cut off 1/4 to a 1/2 inch of the top of cloves, exposing the individual cloves of garlic.
- Place the garlic head in a roasting pan. Drizzle olive oil over, using your fingers to make sure the garlic head is well coated. Cover with aluminum foil. Bake for 30-35 minutes, or until the cloves feel soft when pressed.
- Allow to cool thoroughly. Using a small small knife, cut the skin slightly around each clove. Use a cocktail fork or your fingers to pull or squeeze the roasted garlic cloves out of their skins. Reserve in a bowl, covered.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- On a sheet pan, spread 1/4 of the florets with the oil, season with salt and bake until caramelized, about 25 minutes. Don't let it burn.
- Remove from the oven and reserve.
- Combine remaining cauliflower, milk and half a teaspoon of salt in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Bring mixture to a simmer, cover, and cook until cauliflower is tender, about 20 to 25 minutes.
- Strain cauliflower from milk mixture, reserving both. Transfer cauliflower to a blender and add reserved Roasted Cauliflower. Add remaining 1/2 teaspoon of salt and butter to the blender. Add half of the reserved milk liquid and Roasted Garlic.
- Secure top on blender and puree mixture until smooth. If mixture is too thick, thin by adding some of the remaining liquid. Season, to taste.
- Transfer to a serving bowl. Top with chopped chives and serve.
A wonderful appetizer or side dish, Asparagus Latkes are full of earthy flavors and crunchy textures...
Roasted Turnips with Maple-Mustard Glaze provides an unusual, but delicious side dish with a sweet, ...
Watermelon Pizza is a luscious salad that's a fun, fabulous and fancy feast full of fantastic flavor...
The aged-oak flavor of balsamic vinegar matches ideally with the smokey flavor of grilled meat in Ba...