A favorite accompaniment to roast beef, horseradish is the thick, gnarled root of a plant in the cabbage family. It has a refreshing, spicy bite. Prepared horseradish has already been grated and is mixed with white vinegar or beet juice and packed in jars. For this recipe, use horseradish packed in white vinegar.
- 2 Tablespoons mayonnaise
- 1 teaspoon prepared horseradish
- 8 thin slices white sandwich bread
- 1/4 pound roast beef, sliced paper-thin
- salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
- lettuce, microgreens or watercress (optional)
- In a small bowl, stir together the mayonnaise and horseradish.
- On a clean work surface, spread 4 of the bread slices with the mayonnaise mixture.
- Layer the roast beef on the bread, and season with salt and pepper. Top each with one of the remaining bread slices.
- Using a serrated knife, trim the crusts off the sandwiches. Cut the sandwiches diagonally into quarters and arrange on a cake stand or serving platter.
- Serve immediately.
For a crunchy, tasty and unusual side dish, try our Broccoli and Blue Cheese in Prepared Puff with y...
Moist, tender and aromatic, Chocolate Cherry Fruitcake is a pleasure-filled confectionery treat for ...
The wonderful flavor of Challah Golden Egg Bread makes it a perfect accompaniment for a grand dinner...
Kvaefjordkake is the national dessert of Norway, and a mighty fine confection worthy of praise. The...