A favorite accompaniment to roast beef, horseradish is the thick, gnarled root of a plant in the cabbage family. It has a refreshing, spicy bite. Prepared horseradish has already been grated and is mixed with white vinegar or beet juice and packed in jars. For this recipe, use horseradish packed in white vinegar.
- 2 Tablespoons mayonnaise
- 1 teaspoon prepared horseradish
- 8 thin slices white sandwich bread
- 1/4 pound roast beef, sliced paper-thin
- salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
- lettuce, microgreens or watercress (optional)
- In a small bowl, stir together the mayonnaise and horseradish.
- On a clean work surface, spread 4 of the bread slices with the mayonnaise mixture.
- Layer the roast beef on the bread, and season with salt and pepper. Top each with one of the remaining bread slices.
- Using a serrated knife, trim the crusts off the sandwiches. Cut the sandwiches diagonally into quarters and arrange on a cake stand or serving platter.
- Serve immediately.
A treasured German classic, Sauerkraut Soup is amazingly flavorful and rich in exotic tastes. The f...
An adaptation of the historic recipe, Senate Bean Soup has been a staple in the U.S. Senate dining r...
Simple, delicious, easy to prepare, colorful and full of flavor, you cannot go wrong making Grilled ...
The Amish are some of America's best cooks, preparing natural foods of incredible flavor and quality...