Rio Grande Kidney Bean Soup
Author: Epicurus.com Kitchens
Recipe type: Soups and Stews
- 1 slice bacon
- 1 teaspoon garlic; minced
- 1/2 Cup onion; chopped
- 2 1/2 Cups kidney beans; canned with liquid
- 3 Cups beef broth
- 3 bay leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon ground pepper; freshly
- 1/4 teaspoon dried basil; crumbled
- Fry bacon over medium heat in heavy frying pan; crumble bacon and set aside. Reheat bacon drippings over medium heat; saute garlic and onion until tender, stirring occaionally. Puree beans in blender or food processor fitted with steel blade and stir into onion mixture.
- Blend in crumbled bacon and remaining ingredients, stirring occasionally until soup is hot. Remove and discard by leaves. Soup will thicken as it stands and be thinned with water or additional beef broth.
Food Exchanges per serving: 1 VEGETABLE EXCHANGE + 1 STARCH/BREAD EXCHANGE + 1/2 FAT EXCHANGE; CHO: 19g; PRO: 8g; FAT: 3g; CAL: 136 LOW-SODIUM DIET: This recipe is not suitable.