When someone says that tonight’s dessert is Rich Chocolate Meringue Pie, others will jump for joy, and so they should. It is pure Heaven on a plate.
Rich Chocolate Meringue Pie
Author: Epicurus.com Kitchens
Recipe type: Dessert
Serves: 6 servings
- 225 g (8 ounces) digestive biscuits
- 100 g (4 ounces) unsalted butter
- 25 g (1 ounce) granulated sugar
- 25 g (1 ounce) all-purpose flour
- 10 g (2 teaspoons) cornstarch
- 2 large eggs, separated
- 300 ml (1/2 pint) milk
- 25 g (1 ounce) butter
- 4 ounces plain chocolate, finely chopped
- 10 ml (2 teaspoons) rum (optional)
- 100 g (4 ounces) granulated sugar
- ground cinnamon
- Crush the biscuits until they resemble fine breadcrumbs.
- Melt the butter and stir into the biscuits. Press the biscuits over the base and sides of a 20 cm (8 inch) ovenproof flan dish.
- Blend together the sugar, flour, cornflour, egg yolks and a little of the milk. Heat the remaining milk.
- Stir the hot milk on to the flour mixture and whisk well. Return the mixture to the pan. Heat gently, stirring until the mixture thickens.
- Stir in the butter, chocolate and rum if used. Stir until smooth. Pour into the biscuit pie shell. Chill.
- About 1/2 hour before serving, make the meringue topping. Whisk the egg whites until stiff. Whisk in half the sugar, a teaspoonful at a time. Add the remaining sugar and whisk well.
- Spread the meringue over the chocolate flan. Swirl decoratively with a teaspoon.
- Bake in the oven at 200°C (400°F) Gas 6 for 5 to 7 minutes, until the meringue is golden brown.
- Sprinkle with a little ground cinnamon, and serve hot or warm.