Rice with Oven-Browned Crust Elche Style (Arroz con Costa al Estilo de Elche)
Author: Barbara Norman
Recipe type: Rice Dishes
- 1 Cup dried chick-peas; soaked overnight
- 3 pork sausages
- 1 small onion
- 1 bay leaf
- 8 Cups cold water
- 1/4 Cup olive oil
- 1 small tender chicken
- 1 garlic clove; chopped
- 2 Cups rice
- 3 eggs
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Put the chick-peas to cook in a large pot with one of the pork sausages, the onion, bay leaf, and 8 cups of cold water. Let it come to a boil slowly and then simmer steadily until the chick-peas are done (1 1/2 to 3 hours).
- When the chick-peas are half cooked, fry the remaining pork sausages in 1/4 cup olive oil. Remove them and fry the chicken, cut in small pieces, dried and seasoned with salt and pepper. When the chicken is well browned, fry the chopped garlic clove. Replace pork sausage and add enough liquid from the cooked chick-peas to cover the sausages and chicken. Let the mixture cook slowly 35 to 45 minutes or until chicken is cooked through, but not soft.
- Remove chicken to shallow pan or casserole. Add 5 cups of boiling liquid from the cooking of the chick-peas. Bring it to a rapid boil again before adding the rice. Add the cooked, drained chick-peas, season to taste, stir once to mix, and boil over a high flame for a few minutes until rice begins to absorb the liquid. Cut the sausage into slices and distribute it on top of the rice while you continue cooking over a reduced flame for an additional 10 to 15 minutes, or until the rice is done. Beat three eggs with a little salt until fluffy, spread them over the surface of the rice, and immediately put it in a hot oven until it has formed a good crust.
- Remove rice and let it rest 3 to 4 minutes before serving.
Recipe Source: THE SPANISH COOKBOOK by Barbara Norman