Rice with Mussels and Clams (Arroz con Mejillones y Almejas)
Author: Barbara Norman
Recipe type: Rice Dishes
- 4 pounds mussels and clams; cleaned
- 1/3 Cup olive oil
- 2 medium cloves garlic; chopped
- 1 bunch parsley (a large bunch); chopped very fine
- 1 medium tomato; peeled and chopped
- 1 1/2 Cups rice
- 3 1/2 Cups water
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Heat cleaned mussels and clams over a moderate fire; shake pan occasionally until they open. Remove shells, put shellfish aside, and strain the juice through a kitchen towel. Measure juice and put it aside. Put to boil in a separate pot enough water to make a total of 3 3/4 cups liquid.
- Heat olive oil in a flat pan with the chopped garlic. When the garlic begins to take on color, put in the parsley, tomato, mussels, and clams.
- Let it all fry for 2 minutes. Add shellfish juice. As soon as the juice begins to boil, add the rice, seasoning, and boiling water. Cook over high flame until rice begins to absorb the liquid.
- Reduce flame and cook 10 to 15 minutes longer or until rice is done. Let it rest 3 to 4 minutes before serving.
Recipe Source: THE SPANISH COOKBOOK by Barbara Norman