Rice with Boned Chicken and Shelled Fish (Arroz Parellada)
Author: Barbara Norman
Recipe type: Rice Dishes
- 1 small frying chicken; cut in twelve pieces
- 1/2 pound tender roasting pork; cut in twelve pieces
- 6 crayfish; cleaned
- 1/2 pound squid, cleaned; cut in rounds
- 2 dozen clams or mussels; cleaned
- 7 Cups water
- 1/2 Cup olive oil
- 12 canned artichoke hearts
- 2/3 Cup green beans or peas, precooked or Cups; drained
- 2 Cups rice
- 1 pinch saffron
- salt, to taste
- Put fish, shellfish, pork, and chicken in a large pot with 7 cups of water.
- Simmer until chicken and pork are tender. Strain liquid through a sieve.
- Remove bones from chicken and shells from shellfish.
- Heat olive oil in a large pan. Fry chicken and shellfish after patting them dry with a towel. When they are browned, add vegetables and rice; stir until rice is browned. Heat to boiling 5 cups of the liquid in which the fish, pork, and chicken cooked. Pour boiling liquid over rice.
- Season with salt and a pinch of saffron dissolved in a little of the boiling liquid. Stir just enough to mix. Let it boil hard until rice begins to absorb the liquid; then reduce flame and continue cooking 10 to 15 minutes or until rice is done. Let it rest 4 to 5 minutes before serving.
Recipe Source: THE SPANISH COOKBOOK by Barbara Norman