Rice as Made in Valencia I (Paella Valenciana)
Author: Barbara Norman
Recipe type: Rice Dishes
- 1 chicken (about 3 pounds)
- 1/2 Cup olive oil
- 1 small tomato - peeled; seeded and chopped
- 1 medium garlic clove; chopped
- 1 Cup green beans
- 3/4 Cup peas
- 5 Cups boiling water
- 1 Tablespoon paprika
- 1 pinch saffron
- 12 snails - cleaned; ready for cooking
- 2 Cups rice
- salt, to taste
- Put 5 cups water to boil. Cut chicken into very small serving pieces, dry pieces with a towel, sprinkle with salt, and fry in very hot olive oil in a medium-sized pan. When chicken has browned for 5 minutes, add the tomato, the garlic, the beans broken into pieces 1 to 2-inches long, and the peas.
- Stir while frying for 1 minute. Remove the pan from the fire to mix in paprika, and on returning it to fire, pour in boiling water. When the mixture boils again, dilute saffron in a little of the boiling liquid and add it with the snails. Salt to taste and let it all cook over a slow fire 15 minutes. Put a little more water to boil on the side.
- When the snails and chicken are done, add a little boiling water to make up for what has been lost in the cooking. Bring it to a rapid boil on a hot fire. Add rice. Let it cook rapidly 2 to 3 minutes, then continue cooking another 10 to 12 minutes over a low fire. When the rice is done, leave it over the lowest possible heat for another 5 minutes to dry.
Recipe Source: THE SPANISH COOKBOOK by Barbara Norman