There is something exceptional about Rhubarb Meringue Pie: the taste. Simply wonderful, particularly with a cup of tea or coffee.
Rhubarb Meringue Pie
Author: Epicurus.com Kitchens
Recipe type: Baked Goods
Serves: 6 servings
- 1 Cup all purpose flour, sifted
- 1/3 Cup shortening
- 5 Tablespoons cold water
- pinch salt
- 2 1/2 Cups rhubarb, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 3 Tablespoons all purpose flour
- 1 Cup sugar, granulated
- 2 egg yolks
- 1/3 Cup orange juice
- orange rind - from one orange, grated
- 1 Tablespoon butter, unsalted
- 2 egg whites
- 4 Tablespoons sugar, granulated
- 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- To make pastry, sift flour and salt and cut in shortening until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Add water and work with a fork until mixture holds together. Wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate for 10 minutes. Roll pastry and fit into a 9-inch pie plate. Prick with a fork and bake at 400 degrees F for 10 minutes.
- For filling, sift sugar and flour together and add rhubarb. Cook slowly until mixture thickens, stirring constantly. Stir in egg yolk and cook 1 minute longer. Remove from heat and add orange juice, rind and butter. Cool and pour into baked pastry shell.
- Meringue: beat egg whites until frothy. Add sugar by the tablespoon, beating until stiff. Add vanilla. Spread meringue over the pie and return to 350 degree F oven for 10 to 12 minutes, or until lightly browned.