Red Onion Marmalade is one of those incredibly delicious recipes known only to a few gourmands. It is simple to make, yet the reaction from those who taste it is amazing.
- 8 Cups red onion, thinly sliced
- water, pure, as needed
- 3 Cups sugar, granulated
- 2 Cups apple cider vinegar
- Be sure onion is cut evenly, not a mixture of uneven thickness.
- In a large, non-reactive pot, sweat the onions with some pure water - just enough to wet the onions - no more than 1/2 Cup. Mineral water can add flavors you won't enjoy. Stir frequently until the water is evaporated. Repeat if necessary to make the onions translucent.
- Add the vinegar and sugar, stirring well over medium heat to melt the sugar entirely.
- Simmer on medium heat until marmalade syrup is liquid honey consistency and the onion is tender. Keep stirring as it will burn easily.
- Once completed, cool. Portion into sterilized jars and seal. Will stay in the refrigerator for up to 3 weeks.
Store in a wide-mouth sterilized mason jar. Will hold in the refrigerator for up to 2 months.
Freezing this is not recommended.
Serve this with Chicken Liver Pate or meat-based pates or terrines. Used often in Britain with liver mousses. Goes very well with egg or chicken salad too!
This recipe lives up to its name and makes a delightful side dish for summertime meals or a topping ...
An amazing Mexican or Cuban cake made with three milks or Tres Leches. A bit tough at first to maste...
Some of the best Irish dishes are the simplest ones, such as Apple and Barley Pudding. With good qua...
White House Leek Tart is our homage to administrations past and future but if governing tastes this ...