This popular and colorful salad lends a festive note to any tapas table; Red Onion and Orange Salad is featured in many tapas bar throughout Spain. Some versions omit the red onion, or replace the raspberry vinegar with lemon juice. No matter which variation is served, however, this salad is tangy and refreshing on a hot summer day, and should always be served chilled.
- 4 ripe medium oranges, peeled
- 1 small red onion, sliced fine
- 2 Tablespoons raspberry vinegar
- 6 Tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 4 Tablespoons golden raisins, covered for 20 minutes in hot water, then drained
- 20 black olives, pitted
- 2 Tablespoons sunflower seeds
- 2 Tablespoons almonds, blanched and chopped fine
- sprigs of fresh mint, to garnish
- Remove the white pith from the oranges and cut the fruit crosswise into 1/4-inch thick slices.
- Arrange on a serving platter and scatter over the sliced red onion.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the vinegar, olive oil, salt, and pepper.
- Spoon this dressing over the onion and oranges.
- Sprinkle with the raisins, olives, sunflower seeds, and almonds.
- Garnish with mint springs and serve chilled.
You can skip the mint and substitute basil or watercress if you like a more aromatic salad.
Prosciutto and Arugula Pizza makes an exceptional meal. The delicious flavors blend into one deligh...
This North African spice mix is used in many delicious dishes. A superb combination of exotic flavor...
An ideal accompaniment to summertime barbecue, grilled meats or fish, sandwiches or salads. Southern...
Italian Easter Bread was first created more than 1,500 years ago by Italian bakers. No dyed eggs wer...