These incredible vegetarian burgers are a glorious option for lunch or dinner. Match them up with cole slaw, Waldorf salad or sweet potato fries for a great meal.
Red Lentil and Amaranth Burgers
Author: Craig Mombert
Recipe type: Main, Lunch, Dinner, Vegetarian
- 3 Cups cooked red lentils, cooled
- 2 Cups cooked brown rice, cooled
- 1 Cup cooked amaranth, cooled
- 4 ounces green bell pepper, seeded, diced
- 4 ounces yellow onion, diced
- 1 Tablespoon garlic, minced
- 1 ounce basil, chopped
- 1 Tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon red chile flakes
- 15 hamburger buns
- In a large bowl, combine lentils, rice, amaranth, bell pepper, onion, garlic, basil, cumin, salt and chile flakes. Shape into 4-oz. patties; place on a parchment-lined baking sheet, keep refrigerated until needed.
- To order, place 1 patty on a flat-top grill; sear 3 minutes or until brown. Flip over and cook 3 minutes more. Check center of the patty (if still cold, place in the oven until hot). Serve on buns with condiments of choice.
Pairs well with a side of cole slaw or sweet potato fries.