Author: Epicurus.com Kitchens
- Ratatouille (see below) or see Recipe
- 1 Tablespoon vegetable oil
- 8 large eggs, beaten
- fresh basil sprigs (optional)
- Prepare Ratatouille (recipe follows); cover and refrigerate until ready to use.
- Just before serving, heat half of oil in 8-inch skillet over medium heat. When skillet is hot, pour in half of eggs; allow eggs to set slightly-about 1 minute. With fork, stir eggs until they begin to coagulate.
- Smooth eggs to make them level and continue to cook without stirring, until omelet is completely set. Remove omelet from heat.
- Spoon half of Ratatouille across center of omelet.
- Carefully fold omelet over filling to make a roll. Place omelet on flat plate and cool to room temperature. Repeat to make a second omelet with remaining eggs and Ratatouille.
- When omelets have cooled, cut each crosswise into 4 pieces. Arrange omelet pieces on serving plate. Garnish with basil sprigs, if desired.
- In large skillet, heat 1 Tablespoon olive oil. Saute 1/2 Cup finely diced eggplant until lightly browned and softened; spoon into medium-size bowl. In same skillet, heat 1 Tablespoon olive oil. Saute 1/4 Cup finely diced zucchini and 1/4 Cup flnely diced yellow squash until lightly browned and softened; spoon into bowl with eggplant. In same skillet, heat 1 Tablespoon olive oil. Saute 1/4 Cup finely diced onion, 1/4 Cup finely diced sweet red pepper, and 1 clove garlic, finely chopped, until onion is lightly browned; spoon into bowl with eggplant. Season Ratatouille with 1 teaspoon red-wine vinegar, 1/4 tsp salt, and 1/4 tsp ground black pepper.
- Cover and refrigerate until ready to use.